Thursday, 6 March 2014

Review: The Summer I Found You

The Summer I Found You/ Jolene Perry

Look at the cover. Look at the title. Look at description.
This book sounds like the perfect romantic read?
Not necessary.

Kate and Aidan are both tragedy victims- she has a high-level diabetes, he lost an arm, and a friend.
Each is searching their escape from the situation, until they understand that there's no escape from reality.

At first, I though that Kate breaking up with Sheldon was something to increase the loneliness in her heart. I didn't feel like she really was concerned about the breakup, but was more inforced in slut-shaming his new girlfriend.


I find slut-shaming (calling a girl a slut and giving her stereotypes by how she looks) very insulting and a bad trait that I wish heroines in the YA fiction didn't have so often. It's like making your main character racist (which is taboo in our time), and judge a person by their skin color. Of course, slut shaming can be also seen a way of bullying in school and young people actually suffer from how society sees them. I don't say that every girl needs to dress provocative and everybody be okay with that, but some girls feel confident about their body, which is not always a bad thing.

After being introduced to Kate and her best friend Jen (which I was rolling my eyes at, because she was there all the time just to be the-best-friend-who-knows-everything-but-has-no-personality), we meet Aidan.

At the beginning I though, "oh, so now we have another lost soul... wow." But I was surprised how well his pain was expressed! How he lost his arm during battle, how he watched his friend die and how he needs now to live with invalidity and grief.

 And actually, the first time they met felt like a really natural way to know new people: having mutual friends/family members. I actually though it was charming how Kate was all goofy around Aidan, and they found someone who listened to them, like they were made for each other.




The romance in the rest of the book wasn't strong and all the minor characters were so supporting with this pairing. Not even one person opposed that relationship, which looked really unrealistic to me.

Talking about the main characters, I wish they had a stronger role in this book, but I can't get everything.

Overall, I think I would enjoy The Summer I Found You more if it had a stronger build romance, bold characters and a bit more focus on the tragedies. This book wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best.


2 STARS

This eBook copy was provided by NetGalley, in exchange for a honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment